Friday, May 15, 2009

2nd trip to er!!!!!!!!!!

I really thought that Ryan and I were doing great with the number of trips to the er that we've made with our kids. Avery went once when she broke her arm, and Braelyn went once for ingesting Tylenol. However, Briggs is only 9 months old and has been twice within 2 months. The day started off rocky. Braelyn had lifted him out of his pack and play, and he had crawled over to the dresser. He bumped his lip - the underneath part between your lip and your teeth. It bled, but not real bad. I took him downstairs to play with his toys. He could crawl - but had never ventured off. I ran back up to get shoes for myself, and I put brae's hair in a ponytail. I came back down, and Briggs was gone. I hear faint whimpering. I found him in the basement. He had went down 10 steps - gasp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart still skips a beat thinking about it. He didn't have one scratch, bump, red spot - nothing! A true miracle. We were rushing around anyway to get to his 9 month check up. So, the dr looks him over - no big deal he says. Really - it's a big deal to me that my son went down 10 steps. So, he told me to watch him for the next 24 hrs for abnormal signs...vomitting, etc. Ok - I can do that! On the way home, our first stop was by Toys r us for a playyard. No more escaping! Briggs fell asleep on the way home, so I took him inside and put him in his crib. I checked on him a couple of times over the next couple of hours. Finally, I hear him awake. I walked into his room to see him smiling with blood pouring out of his mouth. His little windbreaker jacket - soaked in blood. I walked over to get him, and there were two big spots of blood in the bed. I am really going out of my mind at this point. I was thinking that he had internal bleeding from his fall, and it's coming out his mouth. He - was as happy as a lark! He wasn't crying - just bleeding - A LOT!!! Couldn't get ahold of RYan - SHOCKER! Christy - who is picking up all of the kids from school, is my next option. She got here as fast as she could, and by that time I had figured out it was his lip. He bled thru about 3 rags before I finally decided we were going to the ER! CHristy took all of the kids, and was nice to call Melissa to come be with me at the hospital. We were quite the sight! By the time we were finally seen by a dr, it had finally stopped!!!!!!!!!!!! Briggs went about 24 hours with no toys, and just a little pacifier. The dr figured that he had tried to get his paci in by himself, and had jabbed the area that he had bumped earlier in the morning. i'm not sure i have ever been so scared. I hope we are done with trips to the er for awhile!!!



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

steph said...

ok, I believe my comment to you the day this happened was....."welcome to the world of boys"

~Justin&Meg~ said...

oh, my, tricia! sounds scary, but at least it wasn't anything too serious!